HCD international LLC - science, education and technology
McCormick Place Masterplan
The McCormick Place Master Plan was the roadmap for a thirteen (13) year multiphase expansion that included five major components:
1) Investigation and Assessment of existing facilities, programming, and renovation of the entire East and North building components. Completed in just 100 days, the McCormick Facility Evaluation included complete building assessment, traffic flow analysis, and comprehensive programming.
2) The Expansion and Renovation of the existing North and East Halls that included expanded exhibition, meeting and ballroom space, complete renovation of all interior and exterior spaces and retrofitting of the building support infrastructure. This project was phased in multiple bid packages to allow existing operation and maintain the show schedules throughout the construction. Stantec led the design with a project value of $110 million. Third was the renovation of Arie Crown Theater and AIA award-winning renovation of a 4,500-seat theater that also doubles as a general session venue for conventioneers. The objective was to restore Arie Crown Theater to its place as one of Chicago’s premier performance venues and at the same time re-engineer the systems to make it completely code and ADA compliant.
3) The expansion of the South Hall, a $987 million project that provided an additional 2,800,000 square feet of exhibition, conference and ballroom space. As a result of Stantec’s extensive knowledge of the McCormick Place complex, Stantec was enlisted by TVS and Associates to provide the staff for their portion of the contract document production team.
4) A new conference center, 3,100 car parking facility, and the new corporate offices for the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority. Stantec was the lead architect on the design build team that executed the TVS master plan for this mixed-use project. Contained within the Conference Center are the offices for the Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA), which Stantec provided design services.
5) Planning, programming and design work for both the new Hyatt hotel and Trigen Co-generation district power plant that provides the McCormick Place Convention Center with their required utility needs. Throughout these five major phases of work at McCormick Place, Stantec has been a constant in the development that the Client has come to rely on. Our focus on providing solid client service has led to a longstanding relationship that the Client can depend on and that we continue to nurture now and into the future.
Significant work with the Department of Planning and the local community integrated this major expansion with the existing fabric of the near South Loop allowing development to help re- connect the surrounding neighborhoods encouraging and facilitating growth and renewal.
Design Principal: Christopher Groesbeck
Work prior with VOA Associates Inc Executive Architect
Situation: Chicago, Illinois